Church at the Capitol
Time & Location
About The Event
Before the United States Capitol was used by the Senate or House of Representatives, it was used as a church and lasted until well after the Civil War. Services in the Capitol were interdenominational, where people from all backgrounds came together to worship one King Jesus.
1800 to 1801: Services were held in the north wing.
1801 to 1804: Then moved to the temporary chamber of the House known as the “oven.”
1804 to 1807: Back to the north wing.
1807 to 1857: Relocated services to what is now Statuary Hall.
By 1857 when the House moved into its new home in the extension, some 2,000 people a week were attending church services in the House Chamber. The chamber’s first public use was for church.